The Homes Buying Decision + The Home Happiness Calculator
From: Alice Alexander (alicecohousgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 06:15:57 -0800 (PST)
David Brooks writes in the NY Times (Jan 6) that buying a home is the most
difficult decision in life. We don't choose a house so much as fall in love
with it, he writes, and although we may envision a home with exotic things
in which we will host large gatherings, most folks really seek privacy and
tranquility. Lots of interesting angles here, true to David Brooks, but the
real crux of this opinion piece - to me anyway - is his very last and
almost lost comment at the end:

"The process of house hunting focuses your attention on the wrong
things.....
It focuses on the features of the house, not on the social relationships
that will happen in them, which is all you’ll remember decades hence.
Choosing this or that house has only a moderate effect on joyfulness. The
neighborhood you choose, and the social fabric you enter, is more important
than the structure you adore."

Touche! This is exactly what Peter Lazar is getting at with his Home
Happiness Calculator - Why don’t we start measuring Happiness per Square
Foot?

Take the survey if you haven't already!
 http://www.emersoncommons.org/home-happiness-calculator.html

The NY Times opinion: