Re: Access to common areas
From: Kathy Tymoczko (kathy.tymoczkogmail.com)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 14:19:39 -0800 (PST)
We have electronic RFID key fobs to get into the Common House.  The Common
House contains great space, kitchen, TV room, library, kids room, guest
rooms, yoga room, craft room (all on the main level), and storage spaces,
laundry room, exercise room, workshop (kept locked with a key outside the
door on a hook too high for kids and other short people to reach), bike
room, and hallway freezers (all in the basement).  All adult residents get
a fob, and people can request a fob for their kids (usually 8 years or so
and up).  We also have an outdoor garden closet which our apartment keys
open, and a garden shed with padlocks, the key to which is on a hook in the
garden closet.

Who has which fob is stored in the database for the access software
(Honeywell ProWatch), and fobs can be deactivated if lost.

So the Common House is locked all the time (we're in an urban environment)
and requires a fob to get in, except when there's an event going on inside
and then we can manually unlock it (and relock it when the event is done).