Big Recipes? Cohousingcookbook?
From: Elizabeth Brackett (ecBrackettcohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 11:58:59 -0800 (PST)
Has anyone created a Cohousing cookbook?
some say - don't re-invent the wheel...
As I am preparing for the second dinner meeting of the Twin Cities
Cohousing Network, I thought, "Hasn't anyone made a cohousing cookbook? "

I searched Cohousing-L and found a few references to outside sources.
I searched the Cohousing USA site and found 14 Recipes that I think Sandy
from Heartwood Cohousing collected. http://www.cohousing.org/recipes

So if you HAVE such a cook book please respond. Or respond if you would be
willing to work on creating a cookbook, try the recipes etc..

My ideas for the " program" for  a Cohousing Cookbook would include:

It would need to include grids for each recipe to adjust the number of
servings.  Pan sizes for baking - how to go from 8x8 to 1/2 sheet pan
sizes- that may limit the " adjustability"
It should indicate time needed to prepare, and Cook or Bake, and tips on
serving, how well it freezes.
   sub heading - would more than one cook speed up the prep time?
It would need to include Vegetarian, and Vegan and Gluten free recipes.
Also meat based recipes, Recipes that can be split-
 ( for example: prepare and saute veggies and add meat to only half of it)
It should not include recipes calling for a lot of prepackaged
ingredients, altho sometimes pre-packaged makes a dish practical.
What dishes can Children help prepare?
Might indicate relative cost of the ingredients.
Nutrition information, usually available on the on-line recipe sources.

I do use online recipe sources,  but I would like to have recipes that we
can "Vet" as suitable for cohousing common meals  - they taste good, that
the ingredients listed to be sauteed actually fit in the size pan they say
to use etc...they  actually cook in the time the recipe says

I don't think the cook book needs many dessert recipes because normal
cookbooks do a good job on that.  We know cakes have multiple servings,
cookies come in Dozens, most of us are not going to make our own icecream.

--
Becca Brackett  ecBrackett [at] cohousing.org
Bassett Creek Cohousing  http://mn.cohousing.org/bcrk/