Re: co-care agreements?
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:48:02 -0800 (PST)
This topic is bringing up an unresolved issue for me about the goal of
helping cohousers age in place. Does it make sense to plan on staying
longer in your home, with whatever kind of assistance, past the point when
you can "do" cohousing except in a social sense, receiving visits and
perhaps getting some kinds of assistance from your neighbors that you can't
reciprocate? How many such residents can a community sustain?

I'm thinking about the very nice local senior living/ assisted living
community to which several of our older members have moved in recent years.

As pleasant as it may be to live there without all the responsibilities for
maintaining one's house and the common spaces and the governance that
cohousing entails, I think those of us who are getting older (yes, everyone
is, but some of us have been at it longer) want to postpone that move and
stay in our wonderful cohousing community as long as possible because of
the human capital we have here. We want to remain in the presence of
energetic younger folks and children and not live surrounded only by the
old and the very old.

But is it fair to our cohousing neighbors if we can't contribute to
maintenance and governance? Or should that even be a consideration? I
wonder about balancing all of this.
   Muriel at Shadowlake Village