Re: co-care agreements?
From: Cohousing (cohousingmindspring.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 07:06:00 -0800 (PST)
Do you know the cost of assisted living? Do you know the cost of “independent
senior living?” It is sky high and most seniors cannot afford unless they have
really good LTC policies which are rare. And even if you can afford $3000+ per
month studio apartment with room and board, more for any kind of assistance,
finding a good quality facility is not easy. We are the generation that LTC was
not even available to us. Medicare does not cover this. Medicaid helps only
after we have exhausted all but $2000 in assets and only if we live in a place
that will even accept Medicaid. (God only knows what is going to happen to this
government controlled assistance these days.)

Elders can serve the community in many ways as long as they are mentally sharp.
Grandparenting is one way. Eldering: being sources of wisdom and nuturing is
another way. Reading stories to children. Teaching what they are skilled in.
Just because elders don’t move fast on their feet, does not mean they are not
able to contribute aspects of living long honored by cultures and generations
past. Those with dementia can stay as long as they have a partner to supervise
them and then they need to move to a place that can provide more protective
care like a memory care place—unfortunately. Cohousing residents cannot be
expected to provide constant supervision to any adult.

The whole impetus for my husband Dave and I to form Raleigh Cohousing (senior)
is so that we can avoid assisted living and nursing homes for as long as we can
and hopefully our whole lifetime. We are in our 70s. We have waited too late to
get started but we are doing this anyway. We have been through the aging to
death process with our parents in the independent living to assisted living to
nursing homes and we are NOT willing to go that route. We feel that cohousing
is the best solution out there. Our community will have a range of ages from
the 40s on up—because we can’t all turn 92 at the same time. We are not focused
on raising children at this point in our lives although we are not against
multigenerational communities, we just don’t think young families will be
attracted to our community nor do we know how to  market to them. The best of
both worlds would be to have two communities adjacent—one multigenerational and
one senior.

Kayelily
Raleigh-cohousing.com <http://raleigh-cohousing.com/>