A question about annual tips to service providers
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 21:18:43 -0800 (PST)
One of my neighbors asked me to pose this query.

Every December she announces a totally voluntary "tips" collection, and
whatever she receives is given as a "Christmas bonus" tip to the workers
who empty our dumpster and another set of workers who take away our
recyclables. We're on a private road and have to arrange to have those
done, so they are contracted to us, not to the town, which may or may not
be relevant. The people who drive those trucks are performing a much-needed
service for us whether their company works directly for us or for the town
and we want to show our appreciation - at least those of us who respond to
her annual appeal want to.

This is not an official workshare task.This neighbor does it because she
feels it is the right thing for us to do, but she is getting a bit burned
out on the collecting-the-money part of it, and wonders how or if other
communities handle this.

Do any of you tip some of your hired workers in this way? If so, whom do
you tip, and how are the funds generated? Ie, is it in your regular budget,
or is it a charitable and voluntary effort as it has been here?

Thanks!
  Muriel at Shadowlake Village