Re: Cohousing Cookbook
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 16:10:31 -0800 (PST)
I have recipes for seasonal root vegetables, all sized for 10 portions, that I
can contribute.

The local hunger missions have asked me to provide recipes for seasonal produce
that our gleaning organization brings in, and and this in turn has become an
effort to produce a seasonal cookbook for hunger kitchens and safe shelters
that will help them incorporate donations of fresh produce. If anyone cares to
submit a recipe (any size portion, I can rewrite it to 10) for the cookbook,
you will get credit personally and for your cohousing. I am also asking
celebrity chefs and culinary authors to donate recipes, so you’ll be in good
company. Everyone who contributes a recipe to the GleanMe Cookbook will get a
free .pdf copy. Recipes should feature fresh seasonal produce and inexpensive
ingredients.

I think in this way, we can maybe help each other’s projects. I am moving into
late-winter and early-spring recipes right now, so recipes for leeks, chard,
spinach, winter squash would be appreciated.

What got this whole cookbook thing started was when we were given 800 lbs of
beets by a local organic farm, and when I delivered a 50 lb box of beets and 15
lbs of kale to a local hunger kitchen, the kitchen manager looked at me in a
panic and said, “What do you do with beets? And kale?” Most of the volunteers
in these kitchens, and apparently paid staff as well, have little culinary
experience.  So I was asked to provide recipes for donations that were coming
in from farms—kale, pumpkins, squash, parsnips, etc—and now it’s become a
cookbook project that will be distributed nationwide to hunger kitchens so they
can take advantage of fresh, nutritious food. I would love to have some
cohousings represented in the cookbook.

In exchange for providing recipes for a Cohousing Cookbook, I ask only for
attribution to the GleanMe Cookbook for each recipe included, with a link to
the website page, so as to raise awareness of hunger in America.

Mary B.