Re: Can a moderator help manage emotional email?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 15:29:50 -0800 (PST)
> On Feb 4, 2017, at 4:38 PM, Muriel Kranowski <murielk [at] vt.edu> wrote:
>
> Any listserv member who has a problem with someone's message should report it
> to the team that is responsible for our listserv, who are authorized to react
> in a continuum from doing nothing to eventually removing the offending member
> from the list.

I find it amazing, however, how often people don’t realize that their post is
offending someone or that someone is offended. Having a neutral person(s)
communicate this can be very helpful.

Removing someone from a list isn’t necessary and probably counter productive.
It’s cutting them out of part of community life. If necessary, they can be put
on moderated status so someone reads their messages before they are posted.

It isn’t cohousing but on my neighborhood list of 3,000 members and 13 years of
moderation, I’ve only had to ban one person and that was after repeated list
complaints about him and arguments from him. we get 900+ messages a month. Just
talking to people had worked well.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines