Re: Hobs in common house
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 04:06:32 -0800 (PST)
On 2/6/2017 3:42 AM, Malcolm Eva wrote:

Hello all

At the moment we have a discussion going on about replacing our gas hobs in the
common house kitchen with induction hobs.

Hi Malcolm,

Rocky Corner is in a rural area that is subject to the occasional extended power failure in the wake of bad winter storms. That may not be a major consideration in your case. We decided that the individual homes, because of the tight envelope, could have only electric stoves (conventional or induction--owner's choice). However, in the common house kitchen, we decided to have a gas range (bottled gas, as we're not on a pipeline), so that we could prepare community meals in the event of a power outage. We'll also have an emergency generator hooked up to the common house. It will keep the refrigeration running (along with heat and lights), but we didn't want to burden it with the additional draw of a commercial electric range.

So, whatever you learn about pacemakers, this would be another argument in favor of gas.

Dick Margulis
Rocky Corner cohousing