Re: Common house designation for legal purposes
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 06:52:50 -0800 (PST)
On 2/8/2017 9:44 AM, Maggi wrote:
Obviously common meal is a private event, but what if a
common meal is used as a fundraiser?

This varies by jurisdiction.

Our local health department made it clear from the earliest design stage that our common house is a food service establishment subject to licensing, inspection, training requirements, prohibition of pets in the building, etc., on the basis that a resident might ooccasionally invite a guest to a common meal. Would a college kid who comes home for a holiday count? Yes. Basically, anyone who isn't a permanent resident of the community counts as a guest and triggers the designation as a food service establishment.

This health department has told churches they can no longer host potlucks. So, yeah, they're pretty extreme. But they're who we have to deal with.