Re: Cohousing around Florida : I need help to visit some cohousing in Florida
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 05:59:48 -0800 (PST)
Good morning, Tulio!

Welcome aboard!

Congratulations on your passionate desire to bring cohousing to Brazil.

I am sure that our super hot Director of Cohousing US, Alice Alexander,  will
be contacting you.  She never misses an opportunity to spread the word about
cohousing.

Happily, almost all the information you want is available right at your
keyboard.

Are you familiar with the cohousing.org website?  It’s a feast of cohousing
information.  There you will find cohousing communities in all 50 states listed
in the DIRECTORY.  You will also find photos, blog posts, events, professionals
such as architects, etc.  There is a newly developing cohousing community in
Gainesville, FL You will find them in the DIRECTORY.  Also they participate on
this list so someone from the group may also reply.

http://www.cohousing.org

You can also check out the Mid Atlantic Cohousing website which has lots of
free articles you can download.

http://www.MidAtlanticCohousing.org

Be sure to download the free document “Some Cohousing Resources.”  It lists all
the major resources for a person undertaking a cohousing project.

For more photos, use images in google to see hundreds of photos of cohousing
communities from all over the world.  Googling “cohousing” will bring up a
zillion articles and references.

Want some videos?  Youtube houses more than you can ever watch.

And if you want to buy books … then simply search for “cohousing” on Amazon.com
and all the major cohousing titles will pop up.

Your issue will not be in finding cohousing material … it will be in narrowing
your choices because it can be overwhelming.  Therefore, I always suggest that
you start with “The Bible” of the cohousing movement “Creating Cohousing” by
Kathryn McCamant and Charles Durrett.  These authors, as you know, brought
cohousing to the US.  And, it’s the book people undertaking should read before
spending a dime.  It will help you avoid some costly blunders.   After that
there are several books to read including The Cohousing Handbook by Chris
ScottHanson and Developing Sustainable Housing for Today’s Housing Market which
is a combo book and DVD from Mid Atlantic Cohousing that interviews the three
biggest cohousing developers in the US:  Kathryn McCamant, Jim Leach and Don
Tucker.  You must order that book and DVD directly from Mid Atlantic Cohousing
— see the website page:

http://www.midatlanticcohousing.org/booksvideo.html

Don’t forget to come back to the states to attend the super awesome national
Cohousing conference in Nashville, TN May 19-21, 2017.  You will find
information on that conference also on the Cohousing.org website.

This should get you started. But as I said … I’m sure you will hear directly
from Alice.

Congratulations again!  As a power wheelchair rider, I look forward to visiting
accessible cohousing in Brazil.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654
Board of Directors
MidAtlantic Cohousing.org

A friend recently told me I was delusional.  I nearly fell off my unicorn.