Re: Affordable Housing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 10:01:56 -0800 (PST)
> On Feb 13, 2017, at 11:11 AM, Diane <dianeclaire [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sure the rules we live by need periodic review to make sure they don't
> contradict each other and do remain current, but we do need rules.

The bulk of building codes are reviewed nationally by practicing experienced
people who care about the subject. Cities most often use these codes, but
beyond those, there are local zoning codes and other weirdnesses that increase
the cost of housing.

Just permitting takes so long that it can add a lot of costs because time means
money. Prices are going up and interest payments don’t stop.

60 Minutes did a piece on a builder in a major upper NW city, Seattle (I think)
who was being praised for the affordable housing he was building. It was like
some of the plans we have seen for small apts or rooms around a central kitchen
and living area. He said he was building in the west because he couldn’t build
for an affordable price in NYC. The process and the requirements added too many
costs. (Along with bribes.)

One group in Florida had the highest demand for one bedroom units and studios
because that was what people could afford and all they needed. The bank refused
to give them a construction loan if they had more than 2-3. “No one will buy
them."

Then there are all the communities that have to go through rezoning for
multifamily dwellings. Or alternative materials. I talked with one group that
wanted to do straw bale houses on land that was zoned for single family houses
with a minimum of 3 acre lots. I said, “I think you need a fall back just in
case.”

But they had the time and contacts so they persisted and did it. The solution
was to build single family homes but to cluster them in the center of an equal
number of lots. They didn’t impinge on neighbors privacy or view. But this is
rare and it took almost 2 years to get approval for that one tiny piec. Not
everyone can hold on that long or keep their option on land that long.

(I think the planning board thought straw bale was a novelty and would never
happen anyway.)

There are many things that don’t make sense. A small kickstarter funded
specialty coffee shop in our neighborhood was delayed 6 weeks in opening
because before the city inspector came out to approve their electrical setup
the city changed the code and required it for all new approvals even if the
group was waiting for final sign offs. They suddenly needed $25,000 to rewire
and wait for another long period to get a final permit.

They raised the money from the community and eventually opened. But during that
time, several months, the two young partners had no income but were still
paying all the expenses.

This is why groups need to work with professionals who often know how to get
around the requirements of a particular neighborhood. And why many communities
just went rural where there were fewer codes.

But if you are in a neighborhood in which sidewalks and paved streets are the
norm, it is not unreasonable that you would also be required to build these.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC