Re: "Good" schools and urban cohousing.
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 11:03:01 -0800 (PST)
> On Feb 15, 2017, at 12:16 PM, John Richmond <johnrichmond50 [at] hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> How have the surrounding school districts or school zones influenced the
> number of kids you have in your communities over time?

In DC, it has been a major problem. We do have a number of good charter schools
but they are assigned by lottery. If you don’t get in at age 4 or 5, you
probably won’t get in. There are few openings later and those go to siblings
first.

There are private schools and some have done that.

But others have moved or not moved in. Our neighborhood primary school is
improving steadily but it will take awhile before our parents would be
interested. And it’s improving from the early grades up so if you have a 10
year old, it isn’t good.

The high school and middle school are not good.

Disrupting a school year is not something kids will want to do, so I would
think about households with young children and the almost born in terms of
school.

But it is an issue. Talk to the school district also — they may have plans that
will change school configurations.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines