Re: "Good" schools and urban cohousing
From: John Richmond (johnrichmond50hotmail.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 15:24:54 -0800 (PST)
To Katie's reply - unlike Fresno, we do not have cross-school district
enrollment. We do have some out-of-zone enrollment, but the neighborhood school
concept is very much alive here. There are limited application-only slots in a
few elementary schools in the city, an IB and a magnet arts program in middle
school, and three application-based programs and an IB program in high school.
There is a technical center but it is underused by city schools; suburban
counties use it almost as much as we do.

The suburbs have a few middle school magnet programs, and each high school has
a specialty center. This promotes more mixing between school zones at the high
school level.

Virginia does not have many charter schools - we are regularly maligned by
charter school organizations as having the worst, most restrictive charter
school regulations in the country.

Liz - another aspect of our discussion was that we might be big enough to take
over a PTA and change a school over a 3-5 year period. This happened with one
school in Richmond with a cadre of parents that included the future fire chief.

Sharon: followup question - have you had parents decide not to move in due to
the school zones in comparison to, say, Eastern Village in Montgomery County?

John Richmond
Richmond Cohousing

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device