Re: Kitchen Dishware & Dishwashers
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 09:26:27 -0800 (PST)
RoseWind Cohousing in Port Townsend WA. We've been using our common house
kitchen for 16 years.

We like Corelle dishes for a number of reasons:
Lightweight, very difficult to break, stack uniformly, dry quickly when hot,
and we were able, over the years, to accumulate quite a lot without buying them
new, just keeping an eye on yard sales and Goodwill.
We use dinner plates, small plates, soup bowls, little dessert bowls. Dishes
for about 40 fit easily on the top shelf of our Rubbermaid rollie cart, to roll
between the serving line and the kitchen where they are unloaded from the
dishwasher. Back stock for when more are needed is kept in a kitchen  cupboard.

We use a counter-top stainless-steel sanitizer, sliding trays in and out
without ever needing to pick up a tray full of dishes. In all these years,
we've had almost no maintenance issues with the sanitizer. Nor any complaints
that it's hard to use. Because it is quick, on the infrequent occasion when we
have a big affair-- neighborhood picnic, hours-long fundraiser -- we can wash
dishes and cycle them back to the serving area, ongoing. One day, I did dishes
for 250 meals! (Because our sanitizer does not heat water on demand, we make
the hot water last by not using the messy sprayer, instead rinsing dishes with
a dishpan of hot soapy water and a dish brush.)

Our kitchen is open to the dining room, and the dishwasher makes noise, but
it's normally used after most people are done eating and the sound level is
fine for conversations in the kitchen during clean up.

We also have a triple sink for pots and pans, and a regular kitchen sink, with
a drainer rack beside it, where stray dishes can be washed with soap and hot
water.

We have assorted serving dishes, but these include a number of Corelle serving
bowls, which  stack compactly.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org