Re: 're: senior-multigenerational dilemma
From: David Mencher (menchersgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 09:05:05 -0800 (PST)
Hi Yoni,

Thanks for your interest.
As you seem to know, Israeli society has a rich variety of community
organization, including traditionally agricultural kibbutzim and moshavim
with different levels of cooperative economies and social design, as well
as many permutations, usually more recent, of rural and urban collectives.
What characterizes many of Israel's "intentional communities" is a shared
ideology, be it social/political or religious.

To date, no community has been established here designed along the lines of
cohousing, as set forth by CHarles Durrett.  Before becoming interested in
cohousing, we (a kernel of 4 couples 55-67, at the time) came together to
discuss alternatives to the "for profit" assisted living or elder care
facilities that currently serve the aging Israeli population.  After
beginning some naive community building exercises ("visioning", if you
will) we happened upon CHarles Durrett's Senior Cohousing Handbook, and
were tickled to see that we were far from alone in our quest.

As I have said- our main concern is providing suitable community life
choices for aging populations.  If we are successful, I have no doubt that
others , and not only seniors, will be motivated to explore the options
that cohousing provides.  That said, though, I personally do not see myself
as an ambassador of cohousing, rather as an alternative voice to the dismal
"for profit" model of elder care in this country.

David