Re: senior vs. multigen
From: Beverly Jones Redekop (beverly.jones.redekopgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 22:21:18 -0800 (PST)
"So, before there are wings for seniors and wings for families, please
consider some people actually like living in children-generated chaos." I
think it does turn out best if the empty nesters like children's chaos
while the parents simultaneously try to minimize the impact of the chaos on
others. It's a bit of a mixed message, but many great truths are mixed
messages.

Has any community included an adults or seniors equivalent to a teen room
in its common house? I am one of those 40-something parents who feels
troubled when people propose restricting children from common spaces, but I
like the idea of meeting everyone's needs. (I am very comfortable insisting
that children follow the norms of a space, such as the same expectations
for noise or tidiness that we have of adults.)

I've been sitting reflectively with Sharon's desire to discuss world
affairs while baking bread. I'm grateful to hear this need because it feels
to me like an answer to this would be an answer to generating peace and joy
in my community (Groundswell Cohousing at Yarrow Ecovillage in BC).

I saw this fun music video today which also feels like a piece of the
puzzle:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158536575465393&id=776310392.
If the kids and teens take up the bandwidth for silliness and fun, do
seniors feel crowded into a curmudgeonly box?

Maybe an adults-only equivalent to a teen room makes sense. It could have
the feeling of a smoking lounge (without the smoking!) or tea/wine bar with
newspapers and other serious items.

The teen room gives them their own space where they get a break from
negotiating coexistence with children and adults, but we also very much
hope and expect to see them comingling with the full range of community in
the common spaces.

I'm interested in this issue for many reasons:
1. I would enjoy greater peace and joy in my relationships with the current
empty nesters.
2. My mom is one of the empty nesters here, so I value increasing the
comfort and happiness of my parents.
3. I plan to stay here, so I will be one of the empty-nesters in 15 years.