Re: Senior-multigenerational dilemma
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 04:55:20 -0800 (PST)
Susan Elster <elster.sm [at] gmail.com>
after deleting quoted digest and restoring subject line.

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments on our cohousing multi-gen
dilemma (see my email and David Mencher's). We really appreciate the
feedback. While most people are commenting on subjective preferences around
seniors living in a multi-gen (which is very helpful), the other questions
we are wrestling with relate to sustainability. Will we be able to continue
managing our own affairs, in say 10+ years, when our ages begin to range
from 67 to 85 (rather than our current 57 to 75)? And, related to this, how
attractive will we be to younger seniors as our units slowly become
available? A note on context: In the U.S., the assumption (I think) is that
people requiring nursing-level care would have to move out. In Israel,
however, we have a strong in-home service sector. My father in the U.S.
requires nursing home care for advanced Parkinson's; in Israel people like
him can receive the support they need in their own homes. Presumably this
would mean that the average age of our senior community would end up higher
than our counterparts in the U.S.... but we really don't know.

Are there any senior communities out there with enough history to help us
look forward 10-15 years to comment on these questions, both related to
sustainability?

Thanks again!
Susan