Re: 're: senior-multigenerational dilemma
From: Kayelily Middleton (cohousingmindspring.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 15:01:48 -0800 (PST)
I have to respond to this. We are Raleigh Cohousing just forming a senior coho.
We are just 6 households right now (2 couples and 4 single women) and our ages
range from 60 to 76 and we are doing it ALL! All the planning, the marketing,
the facilitating, the physical showings, walking the land, the minute takers,
organizing and cooking for potlucks, handling the finances, the LLC, the
website and responding to inquiries, not to mention planning quite a
complicated project (coho including searching for, negotiating and buying
land). We are spurred on by our aging to get our coho and built and move in.  I
am shocked at what you say your seniors cannot do!

So 22 years ago your seniors were the pioneers, the active ones who got the
coho established and now they have aged seemingly poorly (which seems in
opposition to the notion that aging in community keeps you healthier and
happy). Our people are the same age and we are active healthy capable seniors.
What a difference.

Finances are always a problem, no matter the age, it seems. In our journey we
have discovered a whole population of senior women who hardly have two nickels
to rub together. Their stories all run the same—worked in a service profession
like teacher, nurse, social worker with low pay and benefits. Likely no 401K
unless they started themselves an IRA. And more than 50% of them raised a
family and sacrificed their careers to do so, then were widowed or divorced and
left with paltry resources. It is a sad situation. And in this political
climate, government relief cannot be counted on in fact we can’t even count on
what we have now like Medicare and Social Security to stay intact. It is
frightening.

I still think Cohousing is the best solution for aging and we are going to DO
IT!!

KAYELILY