Re: Senior cohousing and grand children
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 05:49:45 -0800 (PST)
Wendy Willbanks Wiesner <wwiesner [at] affordablecohousing.org>
due to a format problem.

Hello Carolyn (as well as others interested in cohousing policy as it
relates to grandchildren)--

Here is more detail (with key information in bold), from the Generations
United (GU) report titled Grandparents and Other Relatives Raising
Children:  An Action Plan to Create Affordable Housing Opportunities--

"The only exception to this policy [fair housing protections that apply to
family status] comes from the *Housing for Older Persons Act* which *allows
individual development owners or managers of privately owned seniors only
housing buildings to legally exclude families with children *in buildings
where at least 80 percent of the units are occupied by at least one person
who is 55 years of age or older. In such cases *owners of these buildings
are not required to make them child-free developments*, *but do have the
choice to legally exclude children.*"

So I see that the community-level question to discuss is this:  does your
community wish to reserve the right to "legally exclude children", either
right now or at any time in the future?

No question that it is a good move to get clarity around this issue.

It is also important to note that policy and law may change as a result of
record numbers of grandchildren now living with grandparents--a durable
trend that governments on all levels are already addressing.

Wendy

Wendy Willbanks Wiesner
Executive Director
Partnerships for Affordable Cohousing (PFAC)

[image: Inline image 1]