Re: Right of first refusal
From: Julie Gallagher (jgall63gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 09:01:24 -0800 (PST)
At Cantine's Island Cohousing, we have a 45-day Right of First Refusal in
our by-laws. We also developed a written process for how it's applied,
specifying when it's triggered (when the HOA is notified that the owner has
a contract to sell). The ROFR is the only restriction in the by-laws on the
sale of a home, so in practice it's used as our "screening" of a
prospective member. The Membership Committee interviews the buyer and
reviews his or her answers on our questionnaire, and makes a recommendation
to the HOA on whether to exercise or waive the ROFR. There's a difference
of opinion in the community on whether the ROFR has any "teeth," since the
community does not have the funds to purchase a home and we usually do not
have a waiting list of other interested buyers. Theoretically the community
could obtain a bank loan to buy a home, but we've been told this would
require some individual homeowners to co-sign the loan. Nevertheless, we
take the ROFR process seriously when a home is sold. In some cases the
buyer and/or lender may require a written notification that the ROFR was
waived, so we always provide a written letter to that effect.

Julie Gallagher

Canine's Island Cohousing
Saugerties, NY