Re: Right of first refusal
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 08:35:18 -0800 (PST)
> On Mar 9, 2017, at 11:00 AM, John Patterson <jsp1 [at] psu.edu> wrote:

> After some discussion we agreed that the RFR provision in our Dec wasn’t much
> practical use anyway.  Therefore, we amended the Dec to remove it.  I’m
> pretty sure no one misses it.

I have noticed a bit less concern about people moving in who don’t understand
cohousing than there was in 2000 when we moved in. Cohousing felt more delicate
then with major fears of turning into a conventional condo. And frankly, we had
many members who knew little about other cohousing communities or the
literature.

The importance of sales was fresh in our minds along with how hard it was to
sell those last few units and some people dropping out at the last minute. We
also knew how easy it is to sell to just anyone when you are at the end and
can’t afford to rent or leave the unit empty. Owners would be in the same bind
years down the road.

Now we have an increasing number of applicants who are specifically looking for
cohousing. Our emphasis is on orienting potential buyers to understand that
work is involved because we self-manage, and to find people who want to
participate in social activities as well. The difference from move-in is that
we have a functioning and want more of the same. We have an example to show,
not just dreams and "what ever you want.”

A long way around to saying the RFR may not be as important as it once was.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC