Do You Know Your ABCDs?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 18:33:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all —

In your community— forming, building or built —  are you engaging in or
interested in engaging in — initiatives to help keep you and your neighbors
aging in community through even the stages of “deep aging” — that period of
life between healthy aging and death?

Are you looking for resources beyond your community?

Are finding it a challenge to get started?

Here’s a FREE webinar for you.

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 6:30 pm EST, The Aging in Community
Collaboratory will host — via a ZOOM.us webinar —  two of the most important
voices in Asset Based Community Development (ABDC):  John Migliaccio and
Michael Marcus. (Bios and materials at:
https://www.agingcollaboratory.org/webinars)

WHY SHOULD YOU PARTICIPATE?

If you are in the conversation about aging in your community or you are already
enacting a plan for aging in your community  one of the many things you might
need is the resources of your larger community such as transportation. If you
are seeking ways to increase the capacity of your members to age in place in
community — TO REMAIN IN THEIR HOMES MEANINGFULLY CONNECTED TO MEMBERS OF THE
COMMUNITY —  then Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) is a model that can
help you do just that.

WHAT IS ASSET BASED COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT?

“Asset-based community development” or ABCD, is an approach to building
community that engages local residents to identify and build on the strengths,
assets and desires of the community rather than concentrating on the deficits,
needs and problems. By shifting the focus to assets and capacities rather than
needs and deficiencies, community members can mobilize and build upon community
strengths to drive sustainable development.”   You can see the learning
objectives and read some background materials at this website address:

https://www.agingcollaboratory.org/webinars

The Aging in Community Collaboratory (AICC) is a 1 year intensive program
designed to start the conversation about aging in community and to address the
needs of those in “deep aging” — that time between healthy aging and death when
the answer is most often institutional care a.k.a nursing homes.  Many
cohousing communities just assume that when a person is no longer able to care
for him or herself that they will move out.  This is often an assumption
without a single conversation among community members.

THE AICC IS TARGETED TOWARDS ADDRESSING THAT ASSUMPTION.

Therefore, we are opening the current AICC’s webinars to a wider audience.  A
larger audience will insure we draw the most talented speakers for our webinar
series.  It will also spread the word about the importance of addressing aging
in community issues in your community NOW … not when there is a crisis.  And
lastly, ever since this AICC was formed in 2016 we have gotten requests from
people to join.  Because of the structure of the AICC we cannot open the whole
program to new folks but we can open these webinars.  A new AICC will be
started in the Fall of 2017.

Again, TO REGISTER,  for bios of the two presenters,  and articles you can
download to read in advance of the webinar please go to:

https://www.agingcollaboratory.org/webinars

Click the REGISTRATION button on that page.  You will receive instructions from
Ann Zabaldo on how to join the webinar hosted through ZOOM.us  (Although you do
not have to have an account with Zoom you do have to download the software:
http://www.zoom.us)

And please circulate this invitation widely!  If you’re interested in Aging in
Place in Community … we want you!  Join us!

All the best —

Janice Blanchard
Aging Better, Together

Ann Zabaldo