Re: "specialized" cohousing [was Cohousing for Senior Artists]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 09:07:35 -0700 (PDT)
> On Mar 16, 2017, at 9:03 AM, Eris Weaver <eris [at] erisweaver.info> wrote:
>
> Yes, there are intentional communities out there with a particular religious,
> artistic, whatever focus; but most of them don't seem to use the cohousing
> model and they seem to be smaller in size.

I agree. The other thing that happens when people are supposed to be “alike” in
some way is the the definition of the “some way” becomes more articulated and
exclusionary. "That person is not really an artist," or "that person isn’t a
real lawyer." Can you imagine a cohousing community of lawyers and para-legals?
Even lawyers and para-legals whose partners are artists?

I used to teach in a college program where students studied independently. They
never met a group unless taking the same class somewhere else. I tried to have
a meeting of all my ceramic artists hoping to start a support group. They were
all so disdainful of the other person’s kind of ceramics, they barely spoke.

From the outside people seem to have shared interests that they don’t really
have.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC

"The truth is more important than the facts." Frank Lloyd Wright