Re: Need help - zoning
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 09:29:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Ty!

I'm very interested in what you're doing to come up with the Cohousing zoning
ordnance.

Cohousing is transparent legally and financially as either a condominium, a
homeowners association or a co-op. We have not found it necessary to come up
with a customized zoning ordinance just for Cohousing.

Although I'm sure there are a few areas in which a Cohousing ordinance would be
useful for instance,  in the designation of the common house and kitchen which
sometimes causes problems because the fire marshal wants it to be a commercial
building. This subjects the kitchen to all kinds of inspections and
requirements that go beyond the pale of what Cohousing uses this facility for.
I'm sure other people could come up with a few other places where Cohousing
doesn't quite fit the current zoning ordinances. But I think that they are not
so great. And I'm wondering if The time and effort to write and get approval on
a Cohousing ordinance is worth the process?

I know that liberty Village Cohousing in Frederick County Maryland had a zoning
ordinance written and approved and on the books and it was later rescinded by
the next conservative board of supervisors.

The real issue is making financing for development easier. And if getting a
zoning ordinance will do that for you (and all of us) then that's a good
reason. But we never had problems getting financing here in the Washington DC
area as we are to financing institutions "just a condo."

So I'm very interested in how your Cohousing ordinance would be different than
the multifamily zoning ordinances that are already on the books in  practically
every other county in the US?

Good luck with what you're doing. I'm sure all is on this list are eagerly
awaitIng to help and to see how this initiative turns out for you.

Ann Zabaldo
Takomavillage Cohousing
Washington DC

Sent from my iPhone