What do you call community residents?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:42:15 -0700 (PDT)
We have called those in residence

1. Residents, which includes everyone including renters who don’t become
associate members. For communications related to access and safety, all
residents need to read the members list.

2. Members, which includes owners and associate members.

3. Neighbors, which is ambiguous. Sometimes means the people in the units right
next door, sometimes everyone in the community and sometimes the people
immediately outside the community.

Increasingly people are using “neighbors” which feels to me to be distancing.
It makes the relationship the same as with the “neighbors” on the other side of
the fence. Our relationships are closer and more casual than most but certainly
not all of the people who happen to live next door to each other.

I thing very few if any residents would like being called by a new word —
communitarian or such. Some people tried “villagers” but it sounded pompous and
place too much emphasis on being our being a community apart from the larger
community. We are in a sense but still we are integral to the larger community.

Anyway, I wondered what people are doing now.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC