Re: Need help - zoning
From: Noel Rosenberg (noelthesubnet.net)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:28:38 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017, Ann Zabaldo wrote:
| So I'm very interested in how your Cohousing ordinance would be
| different than the multifamily zoning ordinances that are already on the
| books in practically every other county in the US?

I don't have much to add on the original question, but I will say that
here in Eastern Massachusetts there were a lot of municipalities that
explicitly disallowed (or severely restricted) clustered housing in order
to prevent condo complexes from springing up.  That has started to change
as towns have started to be more aware of losing their green spaces, but
it was a significant issue for Common Hearth Cohousing's land search.
(Common Hearth eventually folded over other issues.)

Any ordinance that relaxes clustering limitations when a developer agrees
to preserve green space would likely make cohousing much easier to
construct here.  I can't speak to other parts of the country.

-Noel