Re: Need help - zoning
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 05:19:30 -0700 (PDT)
Wendy Willbanks Wiesner <wwiesner [at] affordablecohousing.org>
due to a format problem.
Hello Ty,

I just gave a presentation to a roomful of planners and a few of them
highlighted how helpful it would be to have a cohousing designation within
local zoning code.  Having this available would be a positive, proactive
step; planners could actually refer to something in writing that says
cohousing is allowed and that it has certain well-conceived guidelines that
have been honed by various municipalities with prior experience.

It seems the closest thing we can reference here today is the scant
presence of ecovillage zoning.  Here a piece written by Diana Leafe
Christian:  http://gen.ecovillage.org/en/node/8767.  (Thank you, Diana!).

Possibly we start with the original Ecovillage Zoning designation pioneered
by Dandelion Village in Bloomington, IN (as referenced in Diana's post)?
Ecovillage zoning addresses a broader array of issues than most cohousing
communities currently require, thus casting a larger net to cover a wide
swath of possibilities that might arise as cohousing communities
organize/develop/build in increasingly sustainable fashion.

Wendy

Wendy Willbanks Wiesner
Executive Director
Partnerships for Affordable Cohousing (PFAC)