How big is too big (for a house)
From: Jacob Machina (jakemachinagmail.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 08:04:40 -0700 (PDT)
We're a cohousing community forming in Charlotte NC, and some of our
prospective members have very different ideas about what size homes we
should have within our community. Our current vision for the community is a
mix of small to medium single-family detached  homes (1100-2300 sq ft) a
few triplex multi-family townhouses, and a few concrete pads for siting
mobile tiny homes (<500 sq ft).

One interested member would like to build substantially larger than the
currently envisioned largest home (would ideally be ~3500 sq ft) to support
having a multi-generational single family home with enough space to suit
their tastes (they currently live in a 5000 sq ft house in a very nice
neighborhood).

Should we allow for such a large house in our planning of the community?
Some members are concerned that such a large home would be out of place
within the community, or would foster jealousy, or would be very hard to
sell if/when that household needs to relocate. Other members are of a "live
and let live" attitude and feel that people should be able to build what
they want. What have your experiences been with a substantially larger home
within your community?

Thanks
Jake Machina
Waxhaw Pocket Neighborhood Project, Charlotte NC