Re: Involvement in Closing of Home Sales
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 09:04:22 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jun 15, 2017, at 5:18 PM, Julie Gallagher <jgall63 [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My thought about putting it into the sale contract wasn't so much to
> educate the buyer as to have the buyer affirmatively sign something saying
> they agree to be governed by the By-Laws and the policies adopted by the
> HOA. Then, if later down the road, the buyer is refusing to comply with a
> significant community requirement, there would be something to point to to
> say, "you signed this, agreeing to follow the rules.”

Check your state laws/regulations regarding whatever they call common interest
property like condominiums, coops, etc. It is customary that by law purchasing
the property legally binds the owner to follow the rules.

In DC for example, before purchasing a unit the person must be provided with a
copy of all the legally filed documents as well as all the policies, etc.
Anything binding on owners. Once provided, they are responsible for abiding by
those documents.

Reading state laws is not as hard as it may appear. They are online now so
readily accessible — once you fund them. Use Google and search [town/state
name] [condominium] or whatever key words your state uses to refer to your
legal structure. Google is also a good place to search words you don’t know. I
can’t imagine how I read this stuff before all the definitions were web
accessible.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines