Re: Involvement in Closing of Home Sales
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 09:17:04 -0700 (PDT)
Part of the situation around resales is your legal structure. RoseWind
Cohousing, more than 25 years in, in Port Townsend WA, is neither a co-op nor a
condo. As a mutual benefit nonprofit corporation with a homeowners'
association, ours is open market real estate. We work hard to welcome and
educate those who express an interest in joining. We really value getting
well-matched participatory new members. When a seller allows us to market their
resale home, we do outreach to interested parties and do a lot to orient
prospective members.

However, a resale may be handled by an estate, or the seller may need a quick
turnover to accomodate a sudden move for work or family urgency, or may be
leaving because they found they didn't enjoy community living. In such cases, a
realtor -- who may be clueless and just want to sell to anyone-- may be engaged
and sell to someone who is not well-informed or motivated regarding the
community aspect. The CC&Rs are attached to the deed, but that doesn't
guarantee a fit.

Fortunately, we've usually been able to be in communication with buyers. When
dealing with realtors who aren't talking with us, I do my best to physically
intercept them when they are showing the house. A warm greeting is followed by
handing the realtor and the prospect, each, a handout about our community and
how to learn more. This is a way to get useful information across in a couple
of minutes.

So far, we have been diligent, and lucky, enough to maintain a critical mass of
participating households, and have had relatively few resales. But in a small
town, with a limited pool of buyers at any given time, one can have "robust"
marketing and outreach and still be vulnerable. And yes, after buying is "late"
but one can still do outreach and orientation to help integrate new members,
even the uninformed.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org