Re: Where Everyone Knows Your Name [was The Declaration of ...
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 09:19:41 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 5, 2017, at 11:45 AM, Sharon Villines <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com>
> wrote:
>
> I’ve written so much because I know there are many lurkers on the list who
> are considering cohousing. What they seem to fear most is losing their
> privacy. Everyone has as much privacy as they want.

One aspect I forgot — people borrowing things. Except for my immediate neighbor
no one comes knocking on my door asking to borrow this or that. We use email
for that or at least that I’m aware of.

Does anyone have a tablespoon of curry powder? an extra onion? A camping light
I can use for the weekend? Borrow a car? Watch Jovan this afternoon for an
hour? Walk my dog tomorrow? Pick up some items at the grocery store when you
go? Help me carry boxes from my car?

If all those knocked on doors I think everyone would go nuts but on email
people can respond only if they can do what is asked, and ask if it is still
needed.

My daughter was amazed when she came to stay with me for a week after surgery
last winter that so many people did come to the door. But they were bringing
food and other items they knew I needed. Or asking to empty the trash since
they were going that way. She said you have so many friends! Some of those
people didn’t even like me much. But I got soup.

Normally, people email or call to arrange visits or drop offs.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities." Walt Kelly