Re: The Declaration of Independence had to be a cohousing
From: Eris Weaver (eriserisweaver.info)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 12:17:37 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon Villines wrote:
Can you say more about this?

...where our Independence Day celebration always includes a dramatic reading
of the Declaration of Independence!

Eris speaking again:

I am actually the instigator (and reciter!) of this tradition. (I also recite the preamble to the Constitution upon occasion.)

It always annoys me that everyone refers to the holiday as Fourth of July. We are not celebrating a date on the calendar, we are celebrate Independence Day, our declaration of independence from Britain. Let's celebrate what we're celebrating!

I also have personal/family history interwined with this. My mother's family escaped to the US when their country (Lithuania) was taken over by the USSR at the end of WWII. (They spent five years in Germany as Displaced Persons...a fancy term for refugees.) And Lithuania was the first of the Soviet republics to declare their independence in the early 1990s, leading up to the dissolution of the USSR. So I grew up surrounded by the patriotism of those who have lived under a very different regime.

I love our country and I love these documents...with all their human flaws. They contain within them the possibility for change & improvement and lordy have we seen change & improvement! (Maybe not as much as fast as some of us want...but let me tell you, as a teenage dyke who feared my life would be one of loneliness, violence & discrimination who is now MARRIED to another woman, that is one hell of a lot of change in one lifetime! My grandmother remembered when women couldn't vote. We had slavery 150 years ago, recently we had an African American president. I could go on but I won't.)

We can't, we mustn't, allow those who think "patriotism" means waving a flag and shouting "America First!" and want to go back to some mythical "real" America where women & blacks & queers knew their place, own that word! Patriotism to me means doing the work to keep improving, to keep connecting, to keep striving toward that dream.

Which, I guess, is also what cohousing is about too.

eris