Re: The Declaration of Independence had to be a cohousing
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 15:44:33 -0700 (PDT)
I think this is a great tradition Eris.

On Independence Day, all Americans should read the Declaration of Independence
aloud with our neighbors, and then toast to our interdependence (not a
mis-spelling) as well!

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

241B Commercial Street

Nevada City, CA 95959

T.530.478.1970  C.916.798.4755

www.cohousing-solutions.com

On 7/5/17, 12:17 PM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Eris Weaver"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of eris [at] erisweaver.info> wrote:

    Sharon Villines wrote:
    > Can you say more about this?

    >> ...where our Independence Day celebration always includes a dramatic
    >> reading
    >> of the Declaration of Independence!

    Eris speaking again:

    I am actually the instigator (and reciter!) of this tradition. (I also
    recite the preamble to the Constitution upon occasion.)

    It always annoys me that everyone refers to the holiday as Fourth of
    July. We are not celebrating a date on the calendar, we are celebrate
    Independence Day, our declaration of independence from Britain. Let's
    celebrate what we're celebrating!

    I also have personal/family history interwined with this. My mother's
    family escaped to the US when their country (Lithuania) was taken over
    by the USSR at the end of WWII. (They spent five years in Germany as
    Displaced Persons...a fancy term for refugees.) And Lithuania was the
    first of the Soviet republics to declare their independence in the early
    1990s, leading up to the dissolution of the USSR. So I grew up
    surrounded by the patriotism of those who have lived under a very
    different regime.

    I love our country and I love these documents...with all their human
    flaws. They contain within them the possibility for change & improvement
    and lordy have we seen change & improvement! (Maybe not as much as fast
    as some of us want...but
    let me tell you, as a teenage dyke who feared my life would be one of
    loneliness, violence & discrimination who is now MARRIED to another
    woman, that is one hell of a lot of change in one lifetime! My
    grandmother remembered when women couldn't vote. We had slavery 150
    years ago, recently we had an African American president. I could go on
    but I won't.)

    We can't, we mustn't, allow those who think "patriotism" means waving a
    flag and shouting "America First!" and want to go back to some mythical
    "real" America where women & blacks & queers knew their place, own that
    word! Patriotism to me means doing the work to keep improving, to keep
    connecting, to keep striving toward that dream.

    Which, I guess, is also what cohousing is about too.

    eris