Re: Marketing question for the men on the list
From: Chuck Harrison (cfharrgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 10:52:59 -0700 (PDT)
My comment here does not really address the original issue - marketing -
but raises a design element.

Many cohousing communities have a shared workshop space, but I think it is
rarely generous. There is a substantial population (large majority being
men) who are moving to cohousing and downsizing from a single family house
with a garage/workshop they enjoy. One way to attract this population would
be to set aside a very large common workshop space. Think beyond ordinary
consumer woodworking tools; consider also metalworking, welding, laser
cutting, electronics; look at the "maker spaces" popping up around the
country for ideas. Also, while the shop might early-on be populated with
tools donated by incoming members, you might have a vision of upgrading to
more expensive industrial grade tools.

I am projecting (surprise!) -- I'm a 55+ and giving up my home metal shop
was a disappointment when my partner and I moved into cohousing two years
ago. I don't regret the decision, but a serious common shop space surely
would have been a magnet.

Chuck
Duwamish Cohousing, Seattle WA