Re: Marketing question for the men on the list
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 11:00:54 -0700 (PDT)
Our two-car garage space workshop, plus a carport for additional workshop
storage, has certainly been a draw for the guys. I think it is also very
helpful for guys to talk with other guys. When they get to talking about home
brew, you’ve got them in.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 7/11/17, 10:52 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Chuck Harrison"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of cfharr [at] gmail.com> wrote:

    My comment here does not really address the original issue - marketing -
    but raises a design element.

    Many cohousing communities have a shared workshop space, but I think it is
    rarely generous. There is a substantial population (large majority being
    men) who are moving to cohousing and downsizing from a single family house
    with a garage/workshop they enjoy. One way to attract this population would
    be to set aside a very large common workshop space. Think beyond ordinary
    consumer woodworking tools; consider also metalworking, welding, laser
    cutting, electronics; look at the "maker spaces" popping up around the
    country for ideas. Also, while the shop might early-on be populated with
    tools donated by incoming members, you might have a vision of upgrading to
    more expensive industrial grade tools.

    I am projecting (surprise!) -- I'm a 55+ and giving up my home metal shop
    was a disappointment when my partner and I moved into cohousing two years
    ago. I don't regret the decision, but a serious common shop space surely
    would have been a magnet.

    Chuck
    Duwamish Cohousing, Seattle WA