Risk Management <was: Re: Marketing question ...>
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 16:08:01 -0700 (PDT)
At Cornerstone, we have one or more households that want to buy electric cars,
and will need charging stations for these vehicles.  They are willing to pay a
few thousand to retrofit car chargers to exterior walls adjacent to existing
parking.  Other households, however, believe there are serious risks of
electric cars bursting into flame due to battery failures; they believe this
even though (a) it’s easy to find examples of condos providing charging
stations in their underground garages, and (b) there’s little or no evidence
that exploding electric cars are more of a problem than exploding
refrigerators.  Nonetheless, a fear that something might go wrong has stalled
out our decision for quite a while now.  How can our community possibly chose
something that makes others feel unsafe?

Clearly, nobody wants to create significant risk, or unnecessary risk.  But I
keep dreaming of cohousing, not as maximal risk mitigation, but as a social
contract in which, as much as possible, we all help each other get what we want.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA