Re: Risk Management <was: Re: Marketing question ...> seeking examples
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 06:25:24 -0700 (PDT)
My general experience with the consensus process is this:  For any proposal X,
a few activists / advocates really want X to happen; most people are OK with X;
and a few people have concerns or objections to X.  Objections can be risk /
fear driven, or personal preference driven, or community preservation driven;
no matter which, all objections start out as legitimate and important.

The job of a properly run consensus process is to close the gap between the
proposal and minority opposition.  Closing the gap is a two-way street
involving both (1) identifying and mitigating defects in the proposal, and (2)
relieving the anxieties, or modifying the views, of the minority opposition.

Sometimes, proposal X “fails” because dialog reveals that it has unsuspected
and unavoidable bad consequences for the community.  But more often, consensus
“fails” due to a combination of two factors:
      (1) Even after weeks or months of sincere effort on all sides, the gap(s)
cannot be closed.  Maybe it’s because some of the opposition is immune to
information.  But just as likely, the last hold-out or two have core values or
preferences that are unmodifiable — e.g., they simply cannot agree to the new
pet policy because they do not have, and do not like, pets.
        And (2) the methodology in use stipulates that nothing can change until
everyone is happy.  In other words, the community has pre-agreed that the only
acceptable outcome of the consensus effort is unanimity.  Widespread
participation in improving the proposal, elimination of as many objections as
possible, and enhanced buy-in are not by themselves good enough; unanimity is
essential, or else X can’t happen.  This begs the question, What’s best for the
community, really?  The status quo?  Or, a change strongly desired by some, and
acceptable to almost everyone else?

Which cycles me back to my assertion of origin:  We are convened in cohousing,
at least in part, to help each other get what we want.  Viewed through this
lens, irreconcilable objections to proposals should be very, very rare.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA