Re: gender stereotypes
From: Tiffany Lee Brown (magdalen23gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:33:23 -0700 (PDT)
it's kind of tough: marketing relies on categorizing people into often unfair
and ridiculous clumps in order to get results. gender provides a fabulous
shortcut way to talk about that.

but i agree that this discussion has perpetuated stereotypes in a very
het-cis-privileged-dominant-etc way.

if one is thinking, "We need to appeal to men more," a good question to ask
might be, "Why do I feel that our co-housing community needs more people who
happen to identify as men?" if you're thinking, "We need more hard workers with
creative, hands-on skills," then show off that workshop and your space will
appeal to those workshoppy folks -- whether they skew male, female, XXY, trans,
neither, or Other.

to get my family interested, your brochure would have a dedicated yoga space
(for the male-born, masculine-identifying husband) and an art-and-books-making
studio (for the male-born, mostly masculine-identifying son). the only one of
us likely to see a shop photo and go, "Oooooh! Can't wait to get my hands on
that!" would be me, the female-born, mostly-female-identifying wife. and i
would be hoping for a space where all genders felt comfortable working, and,
notably, where learning could happen. my husband and i are both pretty crappy
with maintenance and power tools. for us, the suggestion of a workshop where
you could take classes or learn from experienced people would be meaningful.

if "shop" is just code for "man cave", as some of the posts here have
suggested, then maybe there is a whole other gender-oriented discussion to
have. is the perception that men (or "most men") are reluctant to live in a
community that doesn't have a men-only space? if that is being offered up,
should there also be a women-only space? will there be limits on how people
identify, gender-wise? will your community have a separate space for trans and
questioning folks?

(who honestly shouldn't even be posting here! we have given up on community
co-housing fantasies for the time being, and are presently closing on a house.
a normal, one-family, boring ol' stick-built house. hoping to slide up a couple
tiny houses for extended family and work studios.)