Re: gender stereotypes
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 16:23:20 -0700 (PDT)
As a feminist in the 1960s and 70s, I and a whole generation of women spent a
lot of time denying gender differences. We believed gender was behaviorally
determined from the moment they were first touched in the delivery room. This
is a girl. This is a boy. It was important to have boys in blue and girls in
pink so everyone would know how to treat them. How to hold them. How to softly
to speak.

We were rabid about it. Free To Be You and Me was constantly playing. But then
we started having children who were raised by us without preconceptions but
also with anti-stereotyping. Girls had to have trucks and boys had to have
dolls.  Clothing was unisex. Girls no longer wore dresses.

Well, guess what. The boys were still traditional boys and the girls were still
girls. There were differences in that they were no longer shamed for
cross-gender behavior. All boys didn’t have to join a sports team. All girls
didn’t have to wear makeup and start filling a hope chest at 12. But they still
preferred girl things and boy things.

And adults do too. Many people like to use workshops and do woodwork. But the
person who is mostly likely to move in _because_ there is a workshop, is a man.
Not that all men like woodworking or have ever been in a shop, but if you have
a good workshop, the chances are you will attract more men.

The fact remains, however, is that women are the majority of the population and
that majority begins increasing dramatically at about age 50.

If you spend too much time being careful not to be gender biased, you will miss
the gender bias.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines