Re: Risk Management
From: David Heimann (heimanntheworld.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 07:36:48 -0700 (PDT)

See comment between the line markers below:

Regards,
David Heimann
Jamaica Plain Cohousing

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:25:19 -0400
From: R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net>
To: Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org>
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Risk Management <was: Re: Marketing question ...>
        seeking examples

My general experience with the consensus process is this: For any proposal X, a few activists / advocates really want X to happen; most people are OK with X; and a few people have concerns or objections to X. Objections can be risk / fear driven, or personal preference driven, or community preservation driven; no matter which, all objections start out as legitimate and important.

The job of a properly run consensus process is to close the gap between the proposal and minority opposition. Closing the gap is a two-way street involving both (1) identifying and mitigating defects in the proposal, and (2) relieving the anxieties, or modifying the views, of the minority opposition.

Sometimes, proposal X ?fails? because dialog reveals that it has unsuspected and unavoidable bad consequences for the community. But more often, consensus ?fails? due to a combination of two factors:

(1) Even after weeks or months of sincere effort on all sides, the gap(s) cannot be closed. Maybe it?s because some of the opposition is immune to information. But just as likely, the last hold-out or two have core values or preferences that are unmodifiable ? e.g., they simply cannot agree to the new pet policy because they do not have, and do not like, pets.

And (2) the methodology in use stipulates that nothing can change until everyone is happy. In other words, the community has pre-agreed that the only acceptable outcome of the consensus effort is unanimity. Widespread participation in improving the proposal, elimination of as many objections as possible, and enhanced buy-in are not by themselves good enough; unanimity is essential, or else X can?t happen. This begs the question, What?s best for the community, really? The status quo? Or, a change strongly desired by some, and acceptable to almost everyone else?

Re: (2) -- Not really. It's "everyone agrees with the decision (thumbs-up) or can live with the decision (thumbs-sideways)". That's quite a bit different than "everyone is happy".

[At any rate, that's the way we do it at JP Cohousing and the way I understand consensus (and sociocracy for that matter) to operate.]

Which cycles me back to my assertion of origin: We are convened in cohousing, at least in part, to help each other get what we want. Viewed through this lens, irreconcilable objections to proposals should be very, very rare.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA