Re: Marketing question for the men on the list
From: Mariana Almeida (missmgrrlyahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 17:13:53 -0700 (PDT)
My observation is that the men who want to live in cohousing on their own are
few and far between. They generally come to it as the partner of a woman who
wants it.
So the problem may not be the marketing of the product, but the product itself.
I think it appeals to more women than it does to men period. (This is an
observational statement, and not so much about gender stereotypes, I hope.)

I have noticed that the men who are "naturally" drawn to it have a
community-building bent.
These are men who already work and invest in community-related activities
like... working in non-profits, in faith groups, as social workers or teachers.
Community activists in LGBTQ or political topics. Sometimes there's overlap
with urban farmers, "makers", and Burning Man people.
My suggestion is related to networking so you reach these men, and in targeting
your marketing to those types of publications related to the activities above.
I personally prefer more gender diversity. We have about 80% women at this
point in our coho community, and I'd rather have more men around. I also think
that the more you have one type of person -- men, children, etc. -- the more
you're likely to get of that type of person. People have a need to see that
there's "people like them" when thinking about  moving in.
Mariana
PS -- totally hear you all on diversity, feeling weird about gender-based
marketing, feeling caged in by gender, inclusivity, and so forth. Yet, the fact
remains that community wants to attract men.

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 9:04:38 PM PDT, Katie Henry <katie-henry [at]