Re: Risk Management
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 06:20:11 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon —

Most of what you list in the definitions is familiar and logical.  We probably
gain little by arguing further about whether a group for which (a) all
objections are resolved, and (b) each member is ready to comply, has or has not
arrived at “unanimity” about a specific matter.  (Even if they still disagree
about some parts of the underlying rationale.)  Maybe we should have a new word
for this kind of outcome, like “unobjectous”.

But … What’s this Stand-aside thing?  Does the group formally divide into two
parts:  Those (a majority?) having no objections?  And off in the corner, those
(a minority?) who are standing aside?  Do stand-asides count for quorum (if
quorum is indeed required)?  If they don’t actually understand the proposal,
does that not lay the groundwork for a future equivocation: Wait, hold the
phone, I didn’t know Proposal X meant Y, and I’m certainly not going to
cooperate with Y!

Please recall that my first personal criterion for consent was/is that I
understand the proposal.  If I don’t understand it, I will ask questions until
I do.  And if I still don’t understand it, I will object.  When everything else
fails, I’ve been known to stand aside by leaving the room, and subtracting
myself from the participating quorum.  I note you do not include “quorum” in
your definition set ...

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing