Re: Risk Management
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 16:02:24 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon —

The variations are endless, and here’s part of Cornerstone’s:

  —  Quorum.  For a plenary decision, it’s minimum 14 households out of 32.  We
have a minimum because we don’t want situations where big decisions are made by
thin attendance, and more generally, we are always trying to encourage as much
participation as we can get.  We do confirm that, at the moment we determine
there are no further objections, we have at least 14 households represented.
This is not really an issue, since most of our plenaries are attended by a
couple dozen households.
       While no requirement for quorum might help distill down plenary to just
those who really care … sometimes people don’t know what they care about until
they’ve dialoged for a while.  Sometimes people *should* care about things they
are ignoring.  If an issue affects and interests only a small subset, maybe it
does not belong in plenary, maybe it should go to committee.

  ––  Consensus.  The main goal is always the resolution of all objections, at
which point the proposal is adopted (the incautious might say, Adopted
“unanimously").  The process, at this point, does not recognize abstentions or
stand-asides; the only question of importance is, Do you have an objection?
Concerns that do not rise to the level of objection are logged into the minutes
as things to watch out for.  But if resolving all objections is impossible
(which it is, sometimes), then one of two things happens:
  —  (1) The proponents withdraw, and the proposal is abandoned.  Maybe the
proponents have been convinced that the proposal has serious unfixable
problems, or maybe they don’t want to keep pushing their friends and neighbors
on a matter controversial, or whatever.  In any event, the proposal runs out of
gas.  Alternatively …
  —  (2) The proponents call for a super-majority vote.  The vote succeeds if
(a) the plenary meets quorum; and (b) yeas equal or exceed 75% of those
choosing to vote.  Objection is by individual, but voting is by household.  If
24 households are in the room (no proxies, no mail-ins), and 4 households
choose not to vote, and 15 of the 20 voting households vote “yea” (the other 5
being “nay”), then the proposal is adopted.  This approach ensures that
abstentions are not automatically weighted to either side of the tally.

Mostly, we resolve all the objections.  Voting is very rare, but not quite so
rare as proponent withdrawal.  What we don’t have is data on is how many
proposals are never even initiated, because for some, the process is seen as
too arduous and challenging.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing