Re: Involvement in Closing of Home Sales
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 10:48:01 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 15, 2017, at 1:30 PM, drmaryann49 [at] mac.com wrote:
>
> We have a list of documents that we provide to the title company to share
> with the buyer, including previous year-end financial statements, current
> year budget, Bylaws, CC&Rs, reserve fund summary, policy and procedure manual
> (Villagers Guide) and a letter acknowledging receipt of these.

I would suggest having someone go through these documents with the buyer,
particularly the bylaws. I do a lot of policy work. We are now clearing up some
oddities in our LCE designations and financing that has revealed the long
standing provisions that have been previously discussed are unknown to people
who have lived here for 17 years and were members before move in when the
bylaws were being written.

We don’t do this but after the last membership meeting, I’m going to suggest it
to our resale team.

And for extra credit — if I had known this 50 years ago my life would have been
less stressful:

1. Some people (like me) read and follow what is written, or are conscious that
they aren’t. They also live under the cloud that if the rules aren’t followed,
it will come back to bite us all. Often fruitless attempts to enforce.

2. Some people never read because they know that what people actually do is
more relevant. All that written stuff is irrelevant and just takes a lot of
time to wade through. And if anyone tries to enforce the rules, there will be
ample warnings and grace periods. Or the rules will be changed. Happy campers.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC