Re: Risk Management
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 15:36:17 -0700 (PDT)
So I thought the topic of risk management was about the problem we
have faced *often*: there are people who are sure the new technology
answer will hurt them.

Solar panels causes cancer.
Electric cars have batteries that might explode.
Wifi causes cancer.
Dust travels through walls.
Etc.

Because all the households in a building have to agree to changes in a
house, and all the households in the community must come to consensus
on anything in our common spaces, people who have those fears
basically can say that others cannot have those things....

While we've (just!) approved a red card process that will make it
possible for someone to proceed even if there are one or two red cards
(after of course trying to adjust for the red-carders concerns) for
the most part folk don't actually want to force someone to have
something they believe will kill them.

I don't know how to resolve the objections of people who believe in
things that I know to be scientifically untrue.

Liz
Mosaic Commons Cohousing in Berlin, MA
www.mosaic-commons.org

(oddly enough, I'm the Rev. Dr. Liz, so obviously I think its ok to
believe things. But not those things. Its such a strange world.)