Re: gender stereotypes (WAS Marketing question for the men on the list)
From: Margaret Porter (margaret.portermindspring.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:15:22 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks, Eris, for so eloquently expressing your objection to the stereotyping
of “how men are” and “how women are.” I could not agree more. None of us should
be pigeonholed in that way, particularly if we are trying to live in community
together. I think it is not only wrong but destructive of community to decide
what a person is like based on the color of their skin or gender or sexual
preference or race or economic status or any other of the myriad ways in which
people are stereotyped. Whether someone is a good community member certainly
depends in part on life experience. It also seems to me that we naturally more
easily develop relationships with people who have similar life experiences,
whether that may be a preference for sports or gardening or building projects
or hiking or music or art or mediation. And those preferences can show up in
the choices of whom we hang out with and how we participate in community. But I
don’t think those preferences should determine the people with whom we choose
to be in community.

 I think it’s often very hard to know whether a given person will be a good fit
in a community. Moreover, a person’s participation and contributions will
evolve over time.  I agree with you that the best we can do is be clear about
the vision and values for our community—the human characteristics we want in
the people we try to live with, and then keep looking for those qualities in
the people who may want to live in our community or who have chosen to live
here.

 My experience of the people in my community is that the tendency to chose left
-brain activities or construction work or caring for others is not dependent on
their gender.  I know men here who will spend hours fixing something for
another community member without expectation of reward or take another to the
emergency room at all hours of the day and night or spend hours trying to sort
out the best way to compassionately respond to a difficult situation in our
community.  I know women who have a preference for analytical thinking, problem
solving and strenuous physical activity who might also consistently reach out
to a community member in need. Moreover, we need all kinds of
contributions—from developing budgets to caring for our gardens to fixing our
buildings to being a compassionate listener. A healthy community thrives on the
diverse gifts of its members. Our challenge in community is, I think, to look
for ways to deepen our relationships and contributions.  Judging or
stereotyping anyone, even based on how they have lived is, in my opinion, not
only arrogant but antithetical to community.

Margaret Porter
Silver Sage Village