Re: gender stereotypes (WAS Marketing question for the men on the list)
From: Beverly Jones Redekop (beverly.jones.redekopgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 11:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
I think this thread has gone a little sideways.

Yes, you could have a cohousing community that is 100% full of (say, for
example) white women in their forties. Yes, these people who are only white
and only women and only in their forties may well represent the full
spectrum of diversity in terms of who they are and what they like to do.
You certainly could get 40-something white women who want to be the
maintenance team and the caregiving team and who are very youthful and
zestful as well as very focussed on wisdom and slow process. This
homogenous group would have a heterogeneity of people who have a variety of
traits: tenderness, businessmindedness, sensitivity, creativity,
practicality, farsightedness, thoughtfulness, reliability, humility, etc...

Despite this glorious unstereotypical diversity, it would be a bit odd and
unwelcoming if all these otherwise diverse neighbours were white, female,
and in their forties. It feels nicer to live among people of more ages,
genders, and backgrounds, and I think it is thoughtful for communities to
be mindful of their missing demographics.

Because communities are demonstrating openness and vulnerability in
addressing what they lack, they may make clumsy or stereotypical guesses at
what the missing people would need to choose to join. Probably the missing
single men don't need a car workshop, probably the missing female children
don't need a ballet studio, and probably the missing queer women don't need
toaster oven storage...but initial awkward brainstorms do not invalidate
thoughtful and important questions.

Beverly
Groundswell Cohousing at Yarrow Ecovillage in Yarrow, BC
60 adults and 41 children!