Re: co-op house within cohousing community
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 12:57:19 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 19, 2017, at 3:18 PM, Beverly Jones Redekop <beverly.jones.redekop
> [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Many people still brainstorm about how we can buy out the quad
> to renovate it into two regular two-storey townhome units. (Perhaps this
> will change given that the quad seems stable and positive for the first or
> second time in seven years as of this summer.)

Has the community agreed to the contract for the quad? It seems somethings are
missing — like number of people in a unit.

How are the finances handled? Do the quad members each have a financial
connection or does one person handle it? Do they purchase a share as one
normally thinks of a coop doing?

What kind of community are you in? College town, urban, etc. Some have more
single professionals than others.

> We always
> hope that quad renters will integrate into the community

They all rent?

>  Local zoning doesn't allow for a
> four-suite home unless you get zoning as a rooming house, so the quad was
> built as a large single-family home with some clever renovations /
> additional walls to split it up after the occupancy permit was granted.  It
> should just be done transparently according to local code and zoning even
> if it feels slower or more expensive at the time.

And the community is also liable since the unit does not meet code and the
Association knows it. In correcting this the other contract corrections could
be made at the same time.

Once you have the right zoning, it is also possible to alleviate the problem of
privacy by installing a small refrigerator and microwave units and a sink to
the units. I rented a room one time that had a shared bath but I had a sink.
The sink was a godsend.

> 7. With a couple of notable exceptions, quad residents have not
> participated in workshare or attended community meetings.

Obviously this is not because of the orientation process or ignoring them. I
suspect it is from the person’s expectations of renting shared space. They
never intended to participate.

What ages have you had? Is it possible to look for 4 older women to share a
quad?

Thank you for taking the time to write out all the details.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC