Re: Visiting Las Vegas?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 07:53:35 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 31, 2017, at 10:17 AM, Michelle Keiserman <msmakman1 [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> We at Southern Nevada Cohousing would love to meet other cohousers and
> prospective members when they visit our area.  We hold several meetings
> each month and have scheduled one over the Labor Day weekend in case any of
> our distant "friends" happen to be visiting during that time.

A lovely message and a very welcoming — and smart — but can you tell us where
you are? How close to Las Vegas, California, Phoenix — to landmarks that people
might know?

Forgetting to include a geographic location in an invitations to join cohousing
communities will bring a quick response. Where are you?

We believe we know you and you believe you know us because we are all fellow
cohousers or cohousing aspirants. But many of us have no geographical knowledge
of the west beyond Gun Smoke. People who go to Las Vegas rarely go outside. Fly
in and fly out.

I did look up “Southern Nevada” in Wikipedia so will share what the rest of us
would like to know about all new (and most old) communities:

> Southern Nevada (often abbreviated as SNV) is the region of Nevada which
> includes the Las Vegas Valley. Southern Nevada also includes the areas in and
> around Tonopah, Hawthorne, Pahrump, and Pioche, though some organizations
> based in the Las Vegas area (e.g., the Southern Nevada Health District)
> effectively use the term to refer to Clark County only.
>
> Geographically, Southern Nevada is partly, and in some cases, fully within
> the Mojave Desert. The population of the region, as measured by the 2000 U.S.
> Census, is 1,432,004, though the Las Vegas Valley has now increased to over
> 2,000,000 itself.

Using the state’s total demographic statistics that’s 2-millon people in about
50,000 square miles. 40 people in a square mile. My calculations. Maybe totally
off.

Sharon
———
Takoma Village Cohousing

Cohousing is where everyone knows your name. So we forget to give basic
information.

  • Visiting Las Vegas? Michelle Keiserman, July 31 2017
    • Re: Visiting Las Vegas? Sharon Villines, July 31 2017